Until we make a decision we have no target. It is like shooting an arrow in the air with no clue when it will land and we are left stuck and frustrated. Conversely, when we make a decision we create mental maps that direct us to the fulfillment of the decision made.
How To Make the best Choice when Your Gut & Logic Disagree.
We often hear it said "go with your gut" and I must admit I am a person who relies mainly on my intuition. It is wise and helpful to have a series of questions to work through, especially if emotions are involved.
Write it all down because when you get all the possibilities, the pros and cons, the worst case scenarios who else it may affect, all out of your head and down on paper. You will be able to evaluate it all much more clearly and be more confident and able to make the best decision. Just thinking about it in your head or even talking about it with others is often just going to be more confusing.
So here are 5 smart questions to ask:
1. What’s the result or outcome you most want in this area for your life? What do you really want?
2. List all your options to move ahead. Even the outrageous ones
3. List as many pros and cons for each area.
4. List the worst case scenarios for each option. It is vital to write them down because when we take time to write them down we see it’s rare that there’s any decision we can’t change or recover from. This will help remove fear.
5. Who else will this impact for each option? So think beyond yourself... your team, friend, family, customer.
Doing this is well worth it as important decisions can change the directions and quality of your entire life and these 5 questions well help you work through any tough decisions you come across.